Saturday 26 July 2008

The REAL holiday show

High - thank you God, for the gorgeous weather, a miracle indeed for a week off booked in liaison with a police shift and colleagues holidays and ENGLISH WEATHER. Well done you!

Low - Caravans and weather - incredibly hot when it's hot, with windows just made for toddler tumbling. And then, abracadabra, Mummy wakes up at 3am to change everyone's bedclothes because they're all cold.

High - the girls and the beach. They'd been to one horrid east coast strip of excuse-for-a-beach-sand before but this was maginifcent! Lovely sand for Florence to scrabble in and the exact right level of micheveous waves for Alice to run from squealing.

Low - rough sea on our last day, which Alice and Florence did not understand. The crashing waves were so exilherating for DH and I, but care-intensive with two determined toddlers!

High - Steam Valley Railway to Dartmouth . This was the girls first trip on any sort of train, and what a train to pick - a restored steam train chugging all along the coast into Dartmouth, with lots of bunnies and people for Florence to wave at.

Low - Why oh why not coordinate ferry times with the trains to avoid long waits with bored, hot and bothered toddlers? Although of course they gave great entertainment (if screaming and running is your thing) to other passengers on the way back.

High - Dartmoor Miniature Pony Centre - the sight of Florence gamely handing in her Pony Ride ticket and having a Heeeeyuge hat fitted and getting onto what seemed like Champion the Wonderhorse's brother was astounding and wonderful, and VERY funny (as was the growling tiger following face-painting!)

Low - Alice got stage-fright and stroppy and refused her ride. I think she saw the ponies as huge as I did. And decided NO. Very loudly. At length. Even when the Pony had retired for Pony Lunch.

High - Mandril monkeys at Paignton Zoo . They honestly seemed as interested in us as we were them.

Low - Toddlers. No naps. Lots of hills. Running.

High - Devon Cream Teas . We found a little place with VERY freshly baked scones, homemade jam and gallons of delicious tea. I miss it already.

High - two girls in one bedrooom - it WORKED! Not smoothly, no, but a lot better than I had anticipated. Florence only fell off her first big girls bed three times (twice migrating to under Alice's bed, granted).

Low - the capacity two girls only jusy over a year apart have for untimely giggling. And lights on. And dragging bedding around. And early singing.

High - the girls seeing so much of Nanny and Grandad, and meeting their cousins for the first time.

Low - not knowing when they'll all get together again.

High - the journey there - absolutely trouble free, happy, excited family, we hardly noticed it.

Low - the journey home. I am 2 glasses of wine, one bottle of beer in and only just coming down.


Thank you all for your lovely comments on my last blog. The feelings haven't gone away but I am praying hard for strength, guidance and perspective. Loooking a little more closely at my hidden demons, one of which I am considering for Show and Tell. Not a pretty story, but I think it'll be good for me to finally 'talk' through it.

10 comments:

Ronda's Rants said...

Yeah! Your home...I am so glad you had a good time. I have an award for you...it's buried and I am still kinda new so I am unsure how to unbury it. Click under my labels for awards and there you are. It sounds like a great vaction and I am hoping to have a real vacation soon. You know your blog pointed out that really life is a serious of highs and low but sometimes that is what it takes to give us a perspective on things.

Dee.. said...

I like the way you put the 'highs' and 'lows' together. It's almost like counting the blessings. Good that you had a wonderful time.

Just Me. said...

What a great way to tell a story!!!

SassyCupcakes said...

Sounds like a great holiday. I hope you're feeling relaxed and reinvigorated.

(And I am seriously jealous of the warmth. It's been so so cold down here today.)

Tash said...

Glad to hear that you are having a great holiday! I like Devon - we were there last year when we stayed on Dartmoor and took trips out!!

We didn't get to go to the beach though, a holiday is never quite right without at least one trip to the beach!!

Nic said...

Thanks for the comments -

Rhonda my hon, I went, I saw, I am really thrilled, and now I need to know what to do!! Will go and re-read! Thank you xx

Dee - yes, I am glad it came across that way, to me everything in life has 2 sides and it's all too easy to not hit a balance...

Just Me - Glad you liked it :-)

Sassy - sending you some warmth, tons of it, we are in humid, hot and humid, hot...did I mention humid...hell! Funny to think of you saying cold in Australia though!

Tash - isn't Dartmoor gorgeous? I am a bit of a bad passenger/driver on windy roads so the teeny narrow lanes and steep hills give me the willies but soooo much to look at.

Anonymous said...

So glad you're home! I was a little bit worried about you when you left, but a good trip can always brighten your mood!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! I loved the highs and lows post - cos we all know they both happen...

Glad you are praying for strength to overcome the feelings! Thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

WOW WHAT A FAB HOLIDAY! Sounds great! even the low's aren't too low!

ADVERSE! said...

helllllllllllo u!! glad u had a decent holiday,sorry u still feel shitty,thanksssssssss heaps for my award!!!!!! i feel like an important person now muhaaaaaa teehee.i havent been around as im swating for this ridiculassss driveing theory test itsss 2morra !!! plus ive still got the gastritus thing,doc/pants more drugs n a poo test whoopie lol.xoxoxoxoxxo